#Mathsconf8

I had a neat fourth dimension at #mathsconf8. Thanks to Mark McCourt too La Salle Education for organising to a greater extent than or less other fantastic lawsuit for maths teachers.

Friday night
We had a big turnout at the pre-conference drinks on Friday. It was lovely to grab upwards amongst people I've non seen inward a while. Workload was a mutual give-and-take call for - sometimes it's helpful to allow off steam nearly the challenges of the project every bit good every bit sharing the highlights.

The best business office of the even was our Pringles Enigma machine activity! When nosotros visited Bletchley Park over summertime nosotros were treated to a display of a existent Enigma machine past times Tom (@TeaKayB). At the fourth dimension Tom mentioned that it's possible to brand an Enigma machine out of a Pringles subway scheme then nosotros invited him along to #mathsconf8 drinks to present us how! Here's what I came upwards with, assisted past times @JoLocke1 (it works! We were able to decrypt a message). 
Kim (@MsKmp) didn't bring a Pringles subway scheme exactly managed to brand her Enigma machine out of a vino bottle! If you're interested inward having a become at this activity, all the instructions too materials are here.

At the pre-conference drinks I also chatted to Craig Barton. I was interested to listen that he has relaunched his website mrbartonmaths.com. For a resourceaholic similar me, this is exciting news! I'm looking forrard to exploring all the resources that Craig has pulled together. For every topic he has provided specifications, videos, worksheets, diagnostic questions, lessons, rich tasks, interactive resources too probing questions. Amazing.

Saturday
The conference was brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed my twenty-four hr catamenia too went dwelling identify feeling inspired.

The twenty-four hr catamenia kicked off amongst Mark McCourt talking us through the 1089 activity. I've heard of this activity earlier exactly non looked at it inward detail. I actually enjoyed doing the maths (even inward base of operations seven!) too tin view that this would brand a vivid lesson for students. I hope to purpose it at schoolhouse at to a greater extent than or less call for this year.

I also enjoyed the speed dating session where I picked upwards a couplet of splendid resources.

The starting fourth dimension session I attended was Kris Boulton's speak on Engelmann. I saw the starting fourth dimension business office of this speak at researchED Maths too Science inward June which I wrote nearly here.  Kris continued to speak nearly Engemann's ideas, including examples of how Kris has applied these ideas to his teaching. I abide by all of this actually interesting, too it does brand me enquiry whether I purpose the most effective method of instruction.

It was interesting to view a snapshot of Kris' planning procedure for a sequence of lessons.
Thanks to @MathsWebb for this photo

I enjoyed watching videos of Kris' teaching inward action, too was pleased that he spoke nearly the agency he handled a student's negative demeanour (I don't retrieve plenty teachers speak nearly the challenges nosotros human face upwards amongst regard to demeanour management, then this was refreshing to hear). The most hitting affair Kris did inward his video was rest soundless when solving a pair of simultaneous equations on the board. I e'er speak through what I'm doing footstep past times step, too I wonder if my talking distracts students from next what I'm writing. I demand to retrieve nearly this.

At the suspension I bought a calculator! It's probable my H5N1 degree students volition endure using these side past times side twelvemonth then I'm going to start using it at 1 time to ensure I'm good practised past times side past times side September.

The 2nd session I attended was nearly mastery too was delivered past times Mark McCourt, a thoroughly entertaining too knowledgeable speaker. If you're interested inward what Mark has to country nearly mastery, read his recent weblog shipping service 1089 activity. I've heard of this activity earlier exactly non looked at it inward detail. I actually enjoyed doing the maths (even inward base of operations seven!) too tin view that this would brand a vivid lesson for students. I hope to purpose it at schoolhouse at to a greater extent than or less call for this year.

I also enjoyed the speed dating session where I picked upwards a couplet of splendid resources.

The starting fourth dimension session I attended was Kris Boulton's speak on Engelmann. I saw the starting fourth dimension business office of this speak at researchED Maths too Science inward June which I wrote nearly #MasteryFail too await out for his side past times side shipping service too.
  

At dejeuner it was neat to view then many teachers enjoying the maths activities at the Tweet Up.

After dejeuner I attended a session on dependent champaign noesis past times Ed Southall. I learnt lots from this session - my favourite affair was the word discorectangle (also known every bit a stadium). I learnt nearly the etymology of the word integer (not touching / standing alone).  I also learnt the divergence betwixt an oval too an ellipse (an ellipse has 2 lines of symmetry) too lots of other lovely snippets of maths knowledge. I dear learning novel things nearly my subject. You tin download Ed's slides here.

All 3 sessions I attended were excellent.

I presented inward the finally slot of the day. My session was nearly novel higher GCSE topics. I promised that I'd part my slides then you lot tin purpose them to deliver grooming at school.
  • Here is the version I presented at the conference.
  • Here is the 'uncut' version which has lots of additional information. If you're presenting to your division I recommend using this 1 (split over 2 or 3 sessions).
  • Here are the GCSE questions that I used every bit a starter activity.

Links tin endure constitute inward the slides themselves or inward the notes section. I hope these slides are helpful, delight allow me know if I tin clarify anything.
Thanks to @letsgetmathing for this photo

I actually enjoyed catching upwards amongst Twitter friends too coming together lots of novel people. Thanks to Mark McCourt for promoting my #christmaths16 lawsuit which you lot tin purchase tickets for here.

If you've non been to 1 of La Salle's maths conferences before, create come upwards along to Bristol on 11th March or London on 24th June. Tickets volition endure available through mathsconf.com.

Finally, thank you lot to superstar Rob Smith for running the tuck store too doing an amazing project of raising coin for charity throughout the day. Every conference should bring a tuck shop!





Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel