Dividing Past Times Zero

I found this on Pinterest and now role it to assist my pupils shout back the rules regarding segmentation too zero.  It seems to work!

I also similar to exhibit them a featherbrained meme similar the i below to help the rule stick inwards their heads.  A search for 'divide past times zero' on Google Images brings upward loads of these. I practice apologise to my pupils inwards advance for the bad language, which I mean value makes it to a greater extent than memorable.


I was really pleased when one of my pupils lately wrote this inwards a test. It's prissy to run into that approximately of them pay attention!


Most calculators laissez passer on the message ‘Maths Error’ when a publish is divided past times zero.  It’s crucial that pupils sympathise why. For didactics ideas, I recommend this first-class weblog post 'Why can't you lot split past times zero?'.

We role this agreement when solving equations similar this:  x2 - 5x = 0. H5N1 mutual error is to divide past times x to buy the farm x - five = 0. This incorrectly gives alone i solution (x = 5). Knowing that nosotros shouldn't split past times x because x could locomote null (unless we're told otherwise) allows us to sympathise why the right method is to factorise ie x(x-5) = 0, giving the ii solutions x = 0 too x = 5.

To stretch your students, endeavour this interesting activeness nearly the value of 00, Evaluating a Special Exponential Expression from Illustrative Mathematics.

It's interesting that throughout history, many nifty mathematicians (including Euler) guide keep argued that segmentation past times null gives infinity. Most modern mathematicians accept it every bit undefined.  If you lot desire to practice approximately background reading on the ‘history’ of dividing past times zero, I recommend this article - it's an enjoyable read.



Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel