5 Maths Gems #1

I’m fairly novel to Twitter. My absence over the final few years agency I’ve missed out on thousands of splendid pedagogy ideas. Twitter is a source of endless inspiration. So I lead keep a plan. I’m going to write a weekly post highlighting v corking novel ideas I’ve gleaned from Twitter. These posts volition assistance me recall things. And hopefully my readers volition do goodness too.

Today I’ve exceeded my limit too am presenting a listing of 6 ideas from my calendar week on Twitter (not a practiced start! I’ll aim for 5 side yesteryear side week).

1. Practical ideas from Maryse. It sounds similar Maryse (@AllThingsMaths) has done an amazing project transforming mathematics pedagogy inwards her schoolhouse too enthusing her students amongst tonnes of creative ideas. Here’s a alternative of those she’s shared this week:
  • Play select handgrip of amongst eggs too run out the relative frequency of smashing.
  • Get an one-time tyre, pigment it too gyre it to demonstrate circumference. 
  • Have a release employment painted inwards the playground.
  • Have discussions almost going dorsum inwards fourth dimension too Doctor Who amongst move graphs. 
I dear these ideas. Follow @AllThingsMaths for lots more.

Mistake Game, Colin Beveridge (My Favorite Liar’. You must read this! It prompted a give-and-take on Twitter almost whether the thought would run inwards maths. I think it would. In your outset lesson amongst a novel class, nation them that you'll nation i prevarication per lesson. Your pupils lead keep to position your lies. In the give-and-take on Twitter nosotros came upward amongst a practiced listing of lies too misconceptions, such equally 'multiplication makes numbers bigger', 'if a release has 6 zeros too so it's inwards the millions' too 'one is a prime number'. The thought is that you lot skid these lies into your pedagogy too promise that your pupils volition straightaway challenge you. And if no-one challenges you lot too so it volition brand a squeamish plenary discussion. Mr Allan (@mrallanmaths) is going to endeavour it out - I’m actually looking forwards to hearing how effective it is. I think, similar the error game, it volition hold out incredibly engaging.

3. Box plots party. In reply to my post almost teaching box plots, Pete Sides of the South Yorkshire Maths Hub (@SYMathsHub) suggested a lovely activeness inwards which pupils utter over the ages of guests at dissimilar types of party, to assistance them sympathize the concept of spread. For event you lot could inquire them to depict a box plot representing the ages of guests at an 18th birthday party, a wedding, a child’s political party etc. I similar this thought so I turned it into a worksheet too added it to my spider web log post.

Trigonometry triangles are similar. I’ve never given much thought to the fact that my students are missing an chance to practise rearranging formulae. I sympathize the argue for mixed views on these methods, but I do rather similar the triangle shared yesteryear Malc Henderson (@malc_henderson) for solving contrary per centum problems. It’s squeamish to lead keep a arrive at of tools to back upward students when they’re preparing for their GCSEs.


6. Display ideas. Clarissa Grandi (@c0mplexnumber) posted a moving painting of her novel ‘vwllss’ corridor display (inspiration from @El_Timbre). It looks fantastic - what a practiced idea!


Other practiced display ideas I’ve seen latterly include circle formulae yesteryear Dawn (@mrsdenyer), a foursquare beginning clock yesteryear Duncan Smart (@duncsmart), too an interactive release puzzle for a maths corridor or classroom, shared yesteryear Mr C Ward (@MrWardMaths).





There you lot go, half dozen maths gems from @mathsjem (my initials are JEM yesteryear the way, it’s non a spelling mistake!). This is only a pocket-size alternative of the practiced ideas I’ve seen on Twitter this week. More to come upward side yesteryear side week!

I’m working on a few posts at the moment, including i on introducing algebra too i on introducing differentiation – if you lot lead keep whatever corking ideas too so delight e-mail resourceaholic@gmail.com or tweet me.



Image sources: lightbulb tampawebdesigner.net; birds techwyse.com

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel