Coded Averages

Teaching coding inwards Statistics 1 is a flake of a pain.  My pupils simply don't similar it, as well as it's difficult for me to learn enthusiastic nearly something that didn't actually be when I studied Statistics (perhaps because it's non alone necessary?). When I was revising this topic alongside my Year 12s this year, I used a actually uncomplicated real-life example:

Imagine I'm queuing upwardly to purchase iv items of clothing, which cost £29.95, £49.95, £59.95 as well as £99.95. To transcend fourth dimension I hit upwardly one's require heed to operate out the hateful toll of these 4 items. To brand the numbers easier to bargain with, I add together 5p to each total as well as so dissever past times 10, giving me £3, £5, £6 as well as £10. It's real tardily to operate out the hateful of these 'coded' prices inwards my caput - it's £6. And at in 1 trial I tin uncode that hateful past times multiplying past times 10 so subtracting 5p (the inverse of the master coding).  That speedily gives me the actual hateful toll of the clothes, which is £59.95.  

Resources
Here's a few resources I've constitute for didactics this topic:
There's a express alternative hither so mayhap I should write something myself - I'll add together it to my list!


Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel