5 Maths Gems #6

introducing calculus, a post nearly starters as well as teaching inequalities as well as a calendar of maths teaching conferences. I've also added novel bits as well as pieces to my resource libraries as well as homeworks page. I've notwithstanding works life fourth dimension for Twitter - here's this week's highlights.

1. Geogebra
For those of us who are equally good busy or non techy plenty to make clever things amongst Geogebra, at that topographic point are really helpful people who make it for us. I've mentioned Mathimation before. Here’s a few to a greater extent than interactive teaching tools that receive got been shared on Twitter recently:

2. Two Superb Resources
I come across a hell of a lot of skilful maths resources inward my resource-addled life, but every straightaway as well as thus I come across ane that is absolutely superb. This calendar week was groovy because I discovered 2 such resources.

Ben Tanner (A level, my students works life them really useful for testing each other both inward shape as well as at home.

Extract from GCSE revision cards - tannermaths.co.uk

Chris Smith (@aap03102) produces a bright weekly newsletter total of fantastic maths teaching ideas - if you lot don't already subscribe thus email him straightaway to larn on the mailing list. This calendar week he tweeted nearly his relay races because they passed 100,000 downloads on TES. I can't believe that I, the resourceaholic, receive got never seen these before.

I've used revision relays amongst my classes earlier as well as they've e'er worked really well, thus I'll definitely live using these disclose puzzle races. There are 10 relays hither including ane for Halloween, ane for Christmas as well as ane for Easter. That's halt of term sorted then.

Extract from Halloween Relay Race - Chris Smith on TES

The 100,000 downloads got me thinking nearly how many maths teachers at that topographic point are inward the UK. First I started thinking nearly how many schools at that topographic point are as well as how many maths teachers per school, but thus I thought it powerfulness live easier to starting fourth dimension from how many teenagers at that topographic point are inward the UK. This reminded me of a labor interview I ane time had. Now here's a story for your students if they ever inquire when they'll demand maths.

During my concluding twelvemonth at academy I had an interview for a graduate labor equally a administration consultant at PwC. I'd already done a summertime internship at KPMG thus was feeling fairly confident. The alternative 24-hour interval started amongst a maths seek much similar this one. After the seek I had luncheon inward a conference room amongst the other candidates. An administrator came inward after luncheon to denote who had failed the maths seek (the unsuccessful candidates had to move out at that signal - an awkward instant for all). I survived the cutting as well as proceeded to a bizarre labor interview.

The interviewer asked me how many planes were inward the heaven at that moment. He wanted an actual number, non but a method. Once I'd had a become (starting point: how many airports inward the world) he thus asked me to reply ane time to a greater extent than using a dissimilar method, thus I did (starting point: world's population). He thus asked for some other method. We went through the same procedure for 'how many babies were born inward the United Kingdom of Great Britain as well as Northern Ireland yesterday?'. I intend I did a reasonably skilful labor of answering these questions - us mathematicians are skilful at lateral thinking. The concluding query inward the interview was nearly how I would stair out the peak of a edifice using but a barometer. I gave a few sensible answers but he kept asking for more. He stopped when I gave an utterly ridiculous reply which I won't acknowledge to hither (if you're coming the conference inward 2 weeks, inquire me then). Moral of the story - maths as well as work solving skills larn you lot far. You never know what you'll live asked inward a labor interview. And don't live the mortal sent abode at lunch.

3. Two Superb Websites
@dazmck shared the website 'That Quiz' which allows you lot to laid gratis online tests as well as homeworks inward a broad hit of topics from Key Stage iii to H5N1 level. It alone takes a infinitesimal to brand a seek as well as e-mail the URL to your students. They larn instant feedback on their answers (either throughout the quiz or at the end). They also larn an chance to right their mistakes. There are a disclose of settings but it's ridiculously slowly to use.

thatquiz.org menu

If you lot register (which takes roughly 5 seconds) you lot tin also collect your students' scores online. Here's an instance of a box plot seek question:

Example query from thatquiz.org

This website is thus incredibly helpful as well as slowly to use, it reminds me of some other groovy website - Form Time Ideas. This is past times far the best tutor fourth dimension resources I've seen. It's beautifully designed as well as slowly to use. The content is spot on as well as it changes every day. Websites that salve fourth dimension are a god-send for busy teachers.

formtimeideas.com

4. Words to Avoid
Twitter had me inward stitches this week. @taylorda1 tweeted nearly something he'd said inward a lesson that his students had works life amusing. Most teachers receive got made slips similar this - they tin stimulate a lot of disruption!


The conversation that followed this tweet was really funny. For the sake of novel or trainee teachers, here's a listing of things to avoid maxim inward maths lessons:
  • In probability, don't toss a money as well as larn a head. In a room total of teenagers, far improve to flip a money as well as larn a tail.
  • Avoid examples involving 'balls inward a bag'. 'Discs inward a bag' tin live but equally problematic if non said clearly. Try counters instead.
  • Also inward probability, live careful how you lot nation 'the or rule'.
  • When writing on the board make non shorten the discussion cumulative. Cum freq is probable to stimulate a stir.
  • Don't brand c proportional to k (c∝k).
  • Careful what you lot nation (and how you lot gesture) when talking nearly enlargements, top heavy fractions as well as going downward the disclose line.
  • Be prepared for giggles if an reply is 69.
  • Avoid having refer to 'the d' or maxim 4q ('4q too!').
  • We can't avoid f(x) but live prepared for 'f off' silliness. Avoid f(u).
  • When writing page numbers on the board, beware of p155.
  • Don't nation cos. Say cosine. Cos Omac is an insult as well as surely non suitable for a maths lesson if whatsoever of your students speak Arabic!
Thanks to all the tweeters who contributed to this list.

It works both ways. I had to stifle my young giggles when I attended a Year 13's utter on the dangers of fracking.

There's to a greater extent than 'dirty mathematics' here.

5. Calligrams
@edsouthall tweeted some of these Minimal Math Concepts.

I honey these as well as was really pleased to uncovering that you lot tin purchase them equally a sheet or framed impress - some other affair for my christmas list! I've added this to my mathsy gifts page.

@tessmaths shared her lovely thought for a shape activity on Maths Calligrams. A calligram is a phrase or discussion inward which the text is arranged inward a agency that creates a visual image. The paradigm created past times the words expresses visually what the discussion says. This could live incorporated into a chief or secondary maths lesson - give students a listing of maths vocabulary as well as inquire them to create pictures to assist agreement as well as recall.
Maths Calligram by @JonTrebyAAN












I promise you've works life some of these ideas helpful. I'm taking requests for time to come resources posts thus if there's a detail theme you'd similar me to feature, delight email or tweet me.




Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel