5 Maths Gems #12

This is going to last a relatively curt gems ship service because I'm exhausted from entertaining nineteen toddlers this afternoon at my daughter's 3rd birthday party. So I'll last brief today, but human face a lengthier ship service side past times side calendar week when I've recovered.

1. Area of a circle (again)
In my seventh gems post I shared an applet that beautifully demonstrates how to derive the surface area of a circle past times cutting it into sectors. This calendar week I establish a bright gif that shows the same thing.
This gif is taken from the animatics (animations + mathematics) section of @MathsChallenges' website. The thinking behind this method is neatly explained in Geometry: What is the intuition behind the formula for the surface area of a circle? which was shared this calendar week by @GeometryDad.

2. Standard form
'resources library has unopen to bully ideas.

3. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources
I saw this tweet from @DrTrapezio...

as well as thence I checked this out as well as establish that the Cambridge Mathematics Education Project is inviting schools to register equally affiliates to gain early on access to their costless Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade maths resources nether development. I'm e'er on the human face out for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources as well as thence I registered. There's loads of bully materials on the website as well as I human face forwards to seeing the collection develop. 

Some of the CMEP's resources are instantly featured on NRICH. For example, the question below is bright (and non equally difficult equally it looks...)

I too similar the 'always, sometimes, never' carte form 'Discriminating'.

Extract from Discriminating

And Parabella is a lovely occupation for your Year 12s studying coordinate geometry.

4. Operation Countdown
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 combination of ideas as well as inventiveness from @LWmathsmatters, @EJmaths as well as @taylorda01 led to this splendid 'Operation Countdown'. I oftentimes role the 'four threes' action equally a plenary inward an monastic state of operations lesson alongside Year 7 but it plant alongside whatsoever historic menses group. I 1 time used it equally a Year xiii starter as well as they actually enjoyed it. The version below involves 5 threes but it's the same idea.
This painting demo is from @taylorda01@EJmaths also made this PowerPoint which includes a dark as well as white version.

5. #units #ruler #workings 
I read the ship service 'Hashtag closure' past times A identify for gimmicks?'). David's ship service is virtually using a hashtag to summarise a lesson. 

Then A Frenzy of Marking: 'Progress Over Time' virtually feedback stickers. When I mark, I create honour that I write the same thing over as well as over again, as well as thence stickers would salvage me a lot of time. Problem is, I'm non organised plenty to role stickers. I create my marker inward a multifariousness of locations as well as unremarkably simply receive got a cherry pen to hand. Hashtags volition operate simply equally good equally stickers, equally long equally my students sympathise the important of the hashtags.

When I grade I'm non succinct enough. For instance I oftentimes write 'please become to assist lodge at 1.30pm on Midweek inward Room 111 for assist alongside this topic'. Instead, I could write #helpclub. I too write things similar 'Look at the query - y'all were meant to circular your reply to 1 important figure'. I could simply write #rounding. My students volition learn what I hateful (especially if they receive got this key inward their practise books) as well as it volition salvage me loads of time. "What's the indicate inward the # symbol?" I take away heed y'all inquire - well, yes, the symbol isn't essential, but #MrsMorganLikesHashtags as well as they're non doing whatsoever impairment are they? :)

So that's it - 5 quick gems from a busy mathematical mum. I was planning to characteristic unopen to thoughts virtually the value (or lack of value) of iPads inward maths teaching today but didn't learn fourth dimension to create the inquiry required, as well as thence volition salvage that for my side past times side gems post.

I'm too planning to write a ship service virtually circle theorems side past times side week. I've got unopen to ideas but if you
receive got an interesting agency of teaching circle theorems or whatsoever amazing resources, delight allow me know.

Also, don't forget to banking concern friction match out my other website, prethomework.weebly.com - the extensive collection has grown over half-term.

I'll exit y'all alongside a base of operations eleven abacus which I recollect is cute but volition annoy @solvemymaths (see his ship service 'My Base eleven Abacus Bugbear').


Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel