5 Maths Gems #24

Hello as well as welcome to my 24th gems post - this is where I part five teaching ideas I've seen on Twitter. I'm going to live on brusk as well as sugariness today... I'm meant to live on marking!

1. Angles inwards Parallel Lines
I'm e'er on the expect out for practiced questions that I tin hand notice role inwards course of didactics as well as thus I was pleased when Cliff Pickover (@pickover) tweeted the occupation below. This volition do nicely for my Year 7s when they come upward to revise angles. I don't shout out upward they've seen the 'hatch mark' used for equal angles earlier (only equal sides) as well as thus it's a practiced exercise inwards interpreting musical note too. Answers are on page half dozen of this document. By the way, if you're non already next Cliff, I highly recommend his tweets.
2. Algebra Countdown
I was browsing @stephenbodman's lovely resources on his website secondarymaths.wikispaces.com when I spotted Algebra Countdown. This is an activity based on the TV programme Countdown, but instead of numbers students are given algebraic terms. Set upward the Countdown Clock as well as run the activity inwards Excel on your Interactive Whiteboard. It's a actually overnice activity for practising simplifying algebraic expressions.
3. Isometric Fractions
I was looking at the cool pads of sticky-backed graph newspaper on www.instagraphs.com (only available inwards USA as well as Canada) as well as spotted an interesting approach to teaching fraction add-on as well as equivalency using isometric grids (see film below). The grid only helps students to depict as well as combine equal sized parts, but anything that helps students sympathise the concept of a mutual denominator is worth considering.

4. Circle Theorems Badges
Cameron Fehr (@MrFehr_SVC) shared this film of the circle theorem badges he uses to vantage his students.
Cameron made these himself using a badge maker. His students tin hand notice earn them past times (for example) correctly reciting the quadratic formula. Cameron real helpfully shared his files here (where there's lots to a greater extent than award-related things to explore).
5. Artistic Mathematics
@MrMathsTeacher shared fantastic pictures of Piet Mondrian-inspired graphs of horizontal as well as vertical lines. I dearest this idea.

6. Imperial Measures
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 bonus precious rock this week, peculiarly for my American readers. We don't role cups as well as quarts inwards the U.K. but if nosotros did, I'd uncovering a role for this fantastic diagram. It helps us visualise the relative sizes of each unit of measurement as well as respond questions similar 'how many teaspoons are inwards a gallon?'.
Reading!
I desire to recommend 3 posts this week... Craig Barton (@tesMaths) updated his 'Links to the Best Maths Websites inwards the World' - it's good worth a read, every bit is his extensive listing of maths resources - Essential Freebies.

Lucy Crehan (@lucy_crehan) shared this lovely post from the 'I am Malala' website. It features pictures of classrooms all over the footing - I actually enjoyed reading it.

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading. I'm utterly exhausted! My infant is 8 months quondam at ane time - volition she ever sleep? Roll on half-term! :)



Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel