5 Maths Gems #31

Hello together with welcome to my 31st gems post. This is where I portion about of the best pedagogy ideas I've seen on Twitter.

1. Ratio tables
The novel GCSE is going to convey an increased focus on proportional reasoning. I enjoyed @MissNorledge's post near using ratio tables for non-calculator conversions. It's a logical agency to construction thinking.
Miss Norledge helpfully provides a 'Master the Basics' worksheet on ratio tables. She has every bit good written splendid posts near using ratio tables for percentage calculations together with proportional reasoning.

This approach tin endure used for whatsoever sort of conversion. I despair when I overhear my Year 12s desperately trying to recollect the 'formula' for converting betwixt radians together with degrees. "Do I multiply past times 180 thus dissever past times pi...? Or is it the other agency round?". It's far easier to memorise π radians = 180o thus brand proportional adjustments. Simple.
2. Trigonometric Graph Transformations
Jon Orr (@MrOrr_geek) has written a serial of Trigonometric Function Transformation Challenges inwards Desmos. These expect swell for pedagogy trig graph transformation - inwards each challenge, students convey to function out the equation of the transformed portion - an instance is shown below.
3. Diagnostic Assessment
I actually similar the expect of Alexander Cameron's (@AlexandeCameron) diagnostic assessments. Here's an example:
For to a greater extent than data near Alexander's assessments run into his TeachMeet presentation.

4. Number Properties
I every bit good similar this splendid activity shared by @DJUdall.

5. Lowest Common Multiple Hot Dogs
I've never sentiment to role this video from Father of the Bride inwards a lesson on Lowest Common Multiple.



Thank y'all to @MrPontinMaths for sharing this together with an associated worksheet - 'The Hot Dog Buns Dilemma'.

Update
If y'all haven't seen my Pret homework website thus hit convey a look. Lots of teachers tell me that they role Pret homeworks really successfully. I honey seeing examples of students' function - these impressive examples of Pret homeworks were shared by @missradders
Did y'all run into the Venn Diagram Subject Knowledge Check I produced ? This is designed for teachers who haven't taught Venn Diagrams earlier thus they tin create for the novel GCSE. I programme to brand these for every novel GCSE topic.

Speaking of GCSE, presumably y'all saw the Ofqual announcement this calendar week near the difficulty of the novel maths GCSE. Expect to a greater extent than Sample Assessment Materials past times the halt of June. If y'all missed the announcement, there's a brusk video summary below (what's amongst the weird alter inwards photographic boob tube camera angle?!). This extract from the Ofqual study is actually interesting - it ranks the GCSE questions inwards social club of difficulty.



If y'all missed this post from mathwithbaddrawings.com near Britain vs US mathematical terminology thus hit convey a read, it's really entertaining. I'm pleased to nation I've never called an index an indice!

Finally, if y'all haven't seen the updated speaker listing for the upcoming National Mathematics Teacher Conference thus hit convey a look. Less than i calendar month to become similar a shot - promise to run into y'all there.

I'll larn out y'all amongst this mathematical limerick, shared past times @MrBenWard.



Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel